New Zealand Eco Tourism - Creating our Future: Sustainability
Mussel Bed is a member of the Coromandel Sustainable Tourism Group - you can be assured that you are patronizing a business that is aware of both its environment and its community. We have completed various steps of the Coromandel's Sustainable tourism programme to improve, monitor and manage our business following sustainable business practices.
What we are doing at Mussel Bed for our environment.
Mussel Bed is eco-friendly and we are committed to sustainability. We realise our business impacts on the wider environment and we try to minimise this impact as much as possible by:
- On-site rainwater collection and purification system.
- All showers are fitted with technology to reduce water usage.
- Toilets are all dual flush to reduce water consumption
- Natural ventilation and cooling.
- Natural and sustainable insulation. We compost our vegetables and fruit waste & recycle most other waste.
- Organic fruit & vegetables grown in our garden. We source local free-range eggs and organically grown produce where possible.
- Recycled timbers have been incorporated into the design of the property. Some of our furniture has been crafted & restored by a local Craftsman using recycled kauri timber stripped from a 1910 Flaxmill Bay homestead.
- We use eco-friendly cleaning products and endorsed as "Kiwi Green Certified".
- Installation of gas califonts to control hot water when B&B not in use, saving energy.
- We encourage guests to use local services, buy NZ made goods and minimise their impact when visiting areas in the NZ landscape.
- We nurture healthy living and support NZ's clean, green image.
- We offer you the chance to make your carbon footprint by planting a tree on our reserve land or you can help by making a donation to 'Kauri 2000'. Kauri 2000 is a long term project to recreate significant stands of kauri on publicly owned land on the Coromandel Peninsula.